If you had told my younger self that I would eventually be invited to speak to an audience of three thousand people in the Middle East, I would have never believed you.
This, however, is the power of intention.
In early 2013, I began to envision myself as a public speaker. I would walk around my apartment with my eyes closed and see myself on a stage with lots of people in the audience, eager to hear what I had to say. I cried like a baby at the thought of it. That’s how passionate I felt about my intention to be a public speaker.
I soon began to tell people about my vision. I asked authority figures I knew if they could connect me to people who could help me achieve my dream. Do you know what happened next? All of the people I asked told me, “No, I can’t get you in front of an audience.”
That didn’t deter me at all. What it did was force me to ask other people and tell more people about my vision. Unfortunately, everyone still said “no.”
The “no’s” kept coming in, until, that is, I was finally asked to speak on a panel with three other people at a conference in Philadelphia. Woo! I was amazed and so excited.
After that booking that event, I was then asked to speak at a conference in Abu Dhabi with another presenter. Of course, I said “yes” to that offer.
The presenter and I came up with a plan for a 20 minute speech and submitted it to a committee for approval. We heard back from the committee and learned that instead of presenting together, they wanted each of us to present individually for 20 minutes. My heart leaped with anticipation. I couldn’t believe it.
Then I went on the conference website and learned that 2,500 people were invited to the conference where I would be speaking. How about that for miraculous? This was exactly my vision!!!
The main point I want to get across is how powerful your visions and intentions can be.
I had a very poor vision of myself when I was younger. I told myself that I was a loser, that I was fat, and that I wasn’t smart. My life reflected those thoughts. I did poorly in school, had very few friends and sat around eating whatever I could as soon as I got home from school.
That is, until my parents pushed me to change. Even though I got terrible grades, my parents told me I could achieve great things and that I needed to try harder. They forced me to want more for myself…and it worked.
I eventually began to hold an image of myself as a smart and capable survivor of extreme health challenges. I saw myself as a brave warrior who could take on all of life’s challenges; whether they be transfusions or math tests in school. My grades excelled and so did my confidence. That early success sparked my forward momentum that still propels me forward today; even when I’m moving into uncharted territory and feel terrified of what might happen.
The funny thing about all of this is, I never realized that my visions and intentions were showing me where my life was going to be taken. I only recently learned how powerful I can be when I use my mind in healthy and meaningful ways.
Here are steps to using the power of intention to get everything you want in life:
- Have a vision for yourself. See a successful future in your mind before anything takes place.
- Tell yourself that you will be successful. Say positive things about your desires and your ability to achieve things.
- Evolve your mind. A day doesn’t exist when I’m not learning a new method in understanding how my mind works. Do your best to rid yourself of negative thoughts and challenge yourself to speak highly of yourself using examples of whatever it is that you currently do well. Realize that if you can do one thing well, you can learn to do other things well, too.
- Push yourself to take action. Do things that move you closer to your goals. Even is that means doing things that feel uncomfortable. The more you step out of your comfort zone the more you evolve and the closet you move towards becoming the person you want to be.
- Talk to others about your desires. You never know who knows who or how another person can take you closer to the things you desire.
- Be patient. You may not immediately get what you want. Just keep trying until you do. Persistence pays off. Trust me.
- You may not get exactly what you want and may instead get a smaller or modified version of your desire, but don’t let that deter you. Move forward. Keep trying and new things that you may not have considered possible will open up to you.
Your desires exist for a reason. They are calling you to acknowledge, master, and explore them. Don’t deny yourself any longer.
Share this article with someone who you think could use a guiding light to help them get to the next level of achievement. Then tell that person to never give up.
Also, if you have dreams that you want to see fulfilled, share them with friends. Go ahead and write down your desires in the comments below!
May all of your dreams come true,
Share this Post